2.05.2009

WotD #2 - Girandole

Alright, today's word of the day is "Girandole". Yup, the picture of one is right over there --->

I'm not going to lie. I don't know a single thing about these girandoles. This will probably be a very quick post with an explanation that is totally out there. But, I did say that I would try doing this every now and again, so here we go...

Right now I'm working at a high school as a peer mentor/teacher's aide. Basically I help students with anything they need help with and grade papers or other things like that. It's actually not that bad of a gig. Anyway, in one of the English classes that I work, the class is reading an abriged version of Great Expectations. We just read the part where Pip first heads over to Ms. Havisham's place.

So, Pip walks into the mansion on the heels of Estella, and he meets up with the disheveled Ms. Havisham. She's sitting in a chair dressed in a faded wedding dress and one white shoe. The room that is described seems equally faded and run-down, but is still adorned with expensive looking furniture and other such appliances. Granted, there was no electricity back then, but I can totally see this girandole sitting right in the middle of one of Ms. Havisham's tables.

I know this wasn't any amazing beacon of light and understanding by any means, but I think it will suffice those of you who have just become so rivited on my WotD posts. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I feel very educated right now. I had no idea what a girandole was and I have read Great Expectations. You're showing strength as a journalist to write about the most random things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe this was one of the things mentioned in that book, but I can see it being there. I appreciate the compliment also; thank you.

    ReplyDelete